Hatha Yoga is the physical practices of yoga, originating in the third (asana) and fourth (pranayama) steps of Raja Yoga. In classical hatha yoga the student cines ubti a oise skiwky an, with full concentration and body awarenwess. The pose is held for a period of time with concentration in the appropriate chakra (energy centre.) The student then comes out of the pose slowly, with the awareness still focused in the body.
- With this practice the student will experience a calming and focusing of the mind.
- There is a gradual deepening of body awareness.
- Concentration and control is developed in the proper execution and holding of the poses.
- In each pose there is a harmonization of body, mind and breath.
- The grace and elegance of the poses influences the movement of our body in everyday activities.
- The practice of yoga brings about a balance of body, mind and spirit - so necessary in our stressful environment.